The Southern African Universities Radiometric Network (SAURAN) is an initiative of the Centre for Renewable and Sustainable Energy Studies (CRSES) at Stellenbosch University and the Group for Solar Energy Thermodynamics (GSET) at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
SAURAN aims to make high-resolution, ground-based solar radiometric data available from stations located across the Southern African region, including South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Reunion Island. Most of our stations provide direct normal irradiance (DNI), global horizontal irradiance (GHI) and diffuse horizontal irradiance (DHI) at 1-minute, hourly and daily time averaged intervals, using state of the art Kipp & Zonen radiometers. Measurement data may be downloaded free of charge, subject to the conditions of use listed below.
The SAURAN network is managed by GSET and CRSES and supported by our partners, including:
- The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
- The eThekwini Municipality Energy Office
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- The University of Reunion
- The University of Pretoria
- Mangosuthu University of Technology
- The University of Venda
- The University of Fort Hare
- The University of the Free State
- The Polytechnic of Namibia
- The University of Botswana
- The University of KwaZulu-Natal School of Chemistry and Physics
- The Stellenbosch University Solar Thermal Energy Research Group (STERG)
- The United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- GeoSun Africa
SAURAN will be expanded in the coming months to increase the number of stations and the network's spatial coverage.
A summary of the terms and acronyms used in our data files can be found under the Instrumentation tab. A list of our operational stations, together with a record of the available data for each location can be found under the Data tab.
Conditions of Data Use:
The Southern African Universities Radiometric Network (SAURAN) makes solar energy data available subject to the following conditions:
- Any use of SAURAN data in reports, research studies, articles, publications, presentations, or any other media format, should cite the following article for reference purposes: Brooks, M.J., du Clou, S., van Niekerk, J.L., Gauche, P., Leonard, C., Mouzouris, M.J., Meyer, A.J., van der Westhuizen, N., van Dyk, E.E. and Vorster, F. 2015. "SAURAN: A new resource for solar radiometric data in Southern Africa". Journal of Energy in Southern Africa, 26, 2-10.
- When referring to this website or the data available through it, the correct descriptor to be used in all publications is "The Southern African Universities Radiometric Network (SAURAN)".
- Data downloaded from the SAURAN network remain the property of the partner universities that own the stations.
- Those making use of SAURAN radiometric data do so entirely at their own risk.
- With respect to information from this website, neither the University of KwaZulu-Natal, nor the University of Stellenbosch, nor any of the SAURAN partners, station owners or administrators, makes any warranty, express or implied, including the warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any such information.